International IDEA is managing a two-year Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs funded programme to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance in Kenya, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance by supporting institutional capacity strengthening of the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP) to discharge its statutory mandate and support the organizational development of political parties in Kenya; enhance mechanisms for accountability and active citizenry in local governance; and expand the knowledge base on the political reforms in Kenya
Job Title: Associate Programme Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The Associate Programme Officer will support planning and implementation of programme activities. The incumbent will also support political analysis in Kenya and advise programme team members on the implications of political developments to the programme.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Supporting the provision of technical assistance to programme partners, national institutions and other stakeholders
- Supporting the design and implementation of training programmes, conferences, seminars and workshops in accordance with the workplan
- Supporting Programme Manager to identify synergies and partnership opportunities for the implementation of programme activities in Kenya
- Contributing to the creation of mechanisms and opportunities that allow for the exchange of information and experiences in the region
- Assisting in identifying issues of common interest and supports the implementation of related activities for democracy promotion
- Contributing to the design and development of knowledge products
- Supporting the promotion of dialogue and consensus building among political actors in Kenya
The Associate Programme Officer must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- University degree in political science, law sociology, international relations or other related subject
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience working in the field of democracy and governance, political participation and representation and/or gender
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage
- Field experience is an asset
- Proven experience in engaging, cultivating and influencing stakeholders
- Previous experience of working on donor funded projects will be considered an asset
- Liaising regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects
- Good communication and negotiation skills, including with authorities, civil society actors and public officials, and clear and well-organized presentation of ideas and concepts
- Respects coworkers, generating a harmonious and participatory climate
- Fluency in written and oral English is required
- Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Monday 16th November 2020