ONE is a global campaigning and advocacy organisation with over nine million members from around the world who are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and aid that is more effective. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency and advocate for increased domestic investments in development so that these resources can be effectively deployed. With HQ in Washington, DC, we operate from North America, Europe and Africa.
ONE’s members are critical to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organising, mobilising, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
Job Title: Campaigns Manager – Africa
Job Location: The position can be based in our Johannesburg, Dakar or Nairobi offices.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment towards reaching a common goal of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. When you work for ONE, you will receive an exceptional benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
The Campaigns Manager will lead the design and execution of innovative campaign strategies in line with strategic campaigning opportunities and ONE’s priorities in Africa and also solicit campaign content for ONE’s platforms as well as identify strategic partners. This is a full-time opportunity reporting directly to the Africa Executive Director.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Lead on the planning and implementation of Pan African and national campaigns including securing a portfolio of innovative campaigning channels, partners and opportunities in Africa
- Negotiate partnership agreements, work plans and establish linkages between partner stories and other units e.g. media and policy
- Manage the development of creative and high impact campaigns that build public support for ONE’s policy change objectives, and demonstrate this support to key African policymakers and media across Africa
- Lead on creating innovative campaigns content and promotion strategies that encourage people to get involved and take action working in consultation and collaboration with team Africa, campaigns and digital colleagues based in other locations
- Support capacity building efforts – training stakeholders on campaigns and advocacy tactics and tools
- Lead on overall supporter and volunteer relationship management in Africa
- Help build a strong supporter journey for new and existing supporters to encourage them to take more action
- Build strong activist groups at country and Pan African levels, and ensure mutually satisfactory engagement with members including responding to request for support to implement local partner and member actions, media stunts and events
- Look for and facilitate opportunities for interaction between ONE’s global volunteer networks (Champions, Youth Ambassadors, US Campus program)
- Participate in global digital and campaigns planning, strategy, execution and reporting processes, linking the Africa program with the wider organisation
- Write supporter emails, blog posts, and other digital content encouraging ONE members to take action
- Manage relationship and look for opportunities for engagement between ONE and strategic partners
- Facilitate internship recruitment and needs within ONE’s departments
- Manage campaigns assistants and interns
- Write project plans and reports
- Recommend solutions/best practices and solves complex problems
- Under minimal supervision, plan, conduct and supervise assignments
- Manage expenditures within the approved budget, researching projected costs for departmental activities and ensuring proper approvals have been obtained for business expenditures.
- Additional duties as determined
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in economics or a development-related field
- At least five years of experience in a public campaigning role
- Excellent knowledge of global development policy issues across Africa
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the African political scene
- Strong understanding of the links between policy, advocacy, campaigning, and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective campaigning
- Excellent knowledge of digital campaigning best practice
- Experience of writing supporter communications including emails
- Experience of building on and offline supporter journeys
- Excellent verbal and written, English communication skills; familiarity with other languages of the African Union desirable
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and presentation skills
- Ability to synthesize policy documents, identifying relevant key points, facts, and statistics that help explain complicated policy topics to broad audiences in a concise way
- Ability to work as part of a global team and in a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and workloads
- A commitment to ONE’s mission and policy priorities
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Demonstrated entry-level management experience or potential for leadership.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and social media platforms
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Related work history in poverty and infectious disease alleviation, advocacy, policy, legislation and/or demonstrable interest in the causes ONE supports
- Ability to work and live in Johannesburg, Dakar or Nairobi.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Well organized, detail oriented and analytical
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Excellent verbal and written, English communication skills; familiarity with other languages of the African Union desirable
Travel up to 30% international and/or domestic
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs (http://www.one.org/jobs) by 10th August 2018.
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.