Room to Read is an international educational non-governmental organisation (NGO) that partners with local communities throughout the developing world to provide quality educational opportunities by implementing literacy projects such as Reading and Writing Instruction Programme, the School Library Programme, Book Publishing Programme and specific programmes that provide educational support to girls.
Room to Read seeks to intervene early in the lives of children in the belief that education empowers people to improve socioeconomic conditions for their families, communities, countries, and future generations. Through the opportunities that only education can provide, we strive to break the cycle of poverty, one child at a time.
Job Title: RM&E Officer
Location: Country Office located in Pretoria
Employment Type: Temporary for position for 3 months.
The Research, Monitoring & Evaluation (RM&E) Officer’s primary responsibilities will include providing technical expertise and collaborating with the Program and Operations teams to design, coordinate, and implement Room to Read South Africa’s research, monitoring and evaluation activities. The position will report to the South Africa Acting-RM&E Manager, and will require frequent travel to all areas where Room to Read operates.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of country-level research initiatives in consultation with the Acting-RM&E Manager and Programs Team – by providing technical assistance on the development and adaptation of instruments and assessments to be used in support of RM&E projects.
- Coordinate the implementation of Room to Read’s annual reading skills evaluations data collection – ensuring that all logistical arrangements are made in advance, preparing data collection plans, training and supervising enumerators, and ensuring that data collection is conducted in accordance with Room to Read’s protocols and best practices in the field.
- Support the analysis and reporting of Project Implementation Monitoring data, Library Rating System data, and Classroom Observations data, in collaboration with Country Office leadership and Program Teams to reflect on findings and incorporate lessons learned into design and implementation.
- Conduct regular site visits for data quality monitoring (DQM) to ensure compliance with implementation monitoring and other data collection activities, following up with Operations and Program colleagues to remediate issues.
- Ensure high quality data collection and reporting of global indicator data and coordinate global indicator reflection with Country Office and Global Office colleagues.
- Support evaluation result review process with Program colleagues to identify improvements in program design and implementation.
- Compile and analyse RM&E data and prepare timely presentations and summary reports of key RM&E findings by program or operational activity.
- Any other duties prescribed by the Acting-RM&E Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or relevant field. Ideally with a focus on research, economics or statistics. Preference will be given to candidates with an honours degree.
- At least 5 years of experience working in research and evaluation within international development, ideally focused on education programs.
- Strong technical competence in research, monitoring and evaluation methods.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, with proven ability to work with data software packages such as Excel and Stata/ SPSS/ SAS. Qualitative analysis skills a plus.
- Strong planning, team leadership and capacity building skills.
- Prior experience implementing and overseeing large scale data collection and monitoring processes.
- Prior experience working with schools, teachers, administrators, and government officials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong initiative, good leadership skills and team player
- Must have a driver’s license, and proven driving ability
- Ability to travel.
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Applications must be emailed to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Wednesday, 2 December, 2020