The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance is an intergovernmental organization that works to support and strengthen democratic institutions and processes around the world, to develop sustainable, effective and legitimate democracies.
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
Based in Khartoum, Sudan, International IDEA seeks to appoint:
FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
The Finance and Administrative Officer will provide high level financial and administrative support in accordance with project needs and requirements for the Khartoum Office, and will be responsible for accounting, payments, bank account management and providing support to the office on financial and procurement aspects. The incumbent will be under supervision of the Finance and Administrative Manager.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Processing invoices, programme advance requests, programme expenditure reports, utilities, fuel etc. and prepares payment requests accordingly
- Assisting with expenditure control, ensuring adherence to International IDEA policies and procedures and advising team members on possible cost saving measures
- Preparing and supporting the administration and performance management of contracts and agreements for service providers and/or partner organizations in line with International IDEA policies and in collaboration with the Procurement Officer
- Coordinating and monitoring the usage and maintenance of the office equipment and vehicles
- Preparing and following up regarding the collection of VAT refunds from Sudan Government Revenue and customs authorities where applicable; Liaises withe Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DHL, UPS and other providers to facilitate the import of items, as required
- Preparing monthly expenditure receipts and reports on data entering into the centralized accounting system
- Reconciling bank statements and petty cash funds of the office on a monthly basis
- Producing and regularly updating cash flow forecasts and ensuring timely remittance requests to ensure sufficient funds are available to meet programme commitments
- Operating and maintaining use of computerized accounting systems and spread sheets to assist day to day accounting procedures and reporting requirements
- Ensuring compliance with EU financial and procurement policies for donor funded projects
- Conducting risk management in line with International IDEA’s risk management policies and procedures
- Maintaining records for fixed assets and updates them on a quarterly basis
The Finance and Administrative Officer must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- University degree in business, financial management or other relevant discipline
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive responsibility in supporting Accounting, Finance, Administration and Grant Management functions
- Full or part professional qualifications in finance and accounting, for example ACCA are considered advantageous
- Knowledge of award and contract regulations and reporting requirements of EU and/or other major donors advantageous
- Experience in working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Work, Excel and PowerPoint) and Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems is desirable
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization; Uses knowledge of how the team integrates with others to accomplish team objectives
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset
This is a fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sudan.
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday 15th May 2020