At Tshikululu, we need original, energetic thinkers and problem-solvers in order to achieve our ambitious goals and make a real impact. We need people who thrive on complexity and are able to ‘connect the dots’ between seemingly disparate issues and initiatives. We are dedicated to ensuring that every social investment we make is meaningful. We aim, very simply, to be the best social investors in the world.
We define social investment as any financial commitment – from grantmaking to impact investing – that seeks to drive and measure social impact. Do you want to help design, implement, influence and drive strategy for some of South Africa’s most forward-thinking social investors? Tshikululu is looking for a Social Investment Specialist to help us do just that.
Job Title: Social Investment Specialist
Job Location: Johanesburg
Principal Objective of the Position:
To drive social investment strategy, manage strategic programmes and mentor social investment analysts to achieve the highest standard of social investment possible.
Client Strategy and Implementation
- Design strategies and initiatives that have clear potential to drive social impact by taking an entrepreneurial and partnership-building approach to complex problems. This will require research, stakeholder engagement, partnership development, high-level strategic thinking and ‘connecting of the dots’.
- Work with a broad range of private and public-sector partners – including civil society, donors, business and government – to drive social impact.
- Assess strategic and potential flagship for possible social investment by carrying out comprehensive due diligence using Tshikululu’s assessment processes.
- Represent Tshikululu and clients as a strategic investor/partner on approved social investments by participating in key meetings, providing strategic input and contributing to systemic goals (where applicable).
- Work closely with clients to identify challenges and develop solutions to ensure that the strategic goals are met through regular meetings, reporting, consultation and discussion.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Support the design of innovative, data-driven monitoring and evaluation processes to clearly understand the impact of social investment on an on-going basis and make adjustments to strategy as necessary.
- Help drive a culture of data analysis and data-driven decision-making across the business in terms of social investment management and strategy.
- Work with internal and external partners to ensure that all client social investments are monitored and evaluated accurately and meaningfully, thus demonstrating social impact.
- Provide high-quality, informative reports to internal and external stakeholders, including clients, about the work being done through social investments.
Tshikululu Strategy and Implementation
- Help develop and refine Tshikululu’s overall social investment strategy, ensuring that the company remains at the cutting edge of global social investment.
- Help position Tshikululu as a leader in the social investment sector by participating in meetings/workshops/conferences, providing sector expertise and experience and engaging with various stakeholders.
- Help develop and refine specific strategies for targeted sectors (e.g. education, health, social development) to maximise social impact.
- Identify strategic and programme opportunities across Tshikululu’s clients and sectors to maximise the impact of our work and leverage resources for scale.
- Provide support and coaching to social investment analysts to ensure the highest quality deliverables for Tshikululu’s clients.
- Identify and deliver on opportunities to increase Tshikululu’s profile and expertise by providing sector insights and expertise, identifying potential opportunities and fulfilling the role as industry and sector expert as and when required.
- Honours/post-graduate degree required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Experience in education, health, impact investing, early childhood development (ECD) and/or rural development preferred
- Proven track record of designing and/or managing complex strategies, projects and/or initiatives
- Ability to thrive on complexity and problem-solving
- Ability to think creatively and push the envelope of social investment
- Ability to work with a wide-range of stakeholders at the highest levels
Key Interactions/ Relationships
- Internal stakeholders
- Programme partners
- Sector experts
Preference will be given to South African citizens.
Appointments will be made in line with Tshikululu’s Employment Equity plan and other required legislation. Candidates with a disability are encouraged to apply.
Tshikululu Social Investments will not be liable for interview travel cost or relocation cost.
We reserve the right not to proceed with the filling of the advertised post.
An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.
Please ensure that you meet the above requirements before you apply.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Please email your applications to: [email protected]
Closing date: 13 January 2019
If you have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.