The Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education was established in 2016 to support work of social justice movements and organisations through activist education. Their aim is to strengthen the theoretical, strategic, organisational, creative and analytic capabilities of worker, student and community activists struggling.
If you are passionate about human rights & the future of activist education, then joining TCAE could be the opportunity you have been waiting for. We are looking for a dynamic and engaging leader who is analytical and a dedicated visionary, to take the Centre to the next phase of its development.
Job Title: Executive Director
Job Location: Cape Town
The candidate must have proven leadership skills, understand the South African and global social justice landscapes and set the strategic direction of the next phase of TCAE. S/he will also manage key relationships with multiple stakeholders, mobilise existing and new resources to support the Centre’s activities, uphold their core values and support the team to thrive and deliver on their mandate and strategy.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Governance & Operations: The ED is responsible for overall strategic direction and implementation of strategy towards the organization’s purpose and mandate, working closely with and ultimately accountable to the TCAE Board. The Director will also be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Centre and all financial, human resources, policies and practices, including the preparation of the annual budget, staff recruitment and performance management.
- Education: The ED will be required to shape the direction of the Centre in relation to the educational work it provides. This entails providing intellectual leadership to the Centre’s team in relation to the development of courses, events and programmes in line with the Centre’s mission.
- Stakeholder engagement & fundraising: The ED will lead efforts to keep key stakeholders and key funders appropriately engaged, informed, and aligned, and will develop and lead fundraising strategies to diversify and grow the funding base for the medium term.
Key requirements include:
- Relevant Masters degree.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as an activist leader working for social justice in South Africa.
- Strong knowledge of political economy, history, social theory & educational theory & practice.
- At least 5-7 years substantial experience of grassroots organising, community-based struggles, progressive social movements and campaigns.
- Sound experience and skills in leading and managing people, finance & material resources.
- Experience in building and sustaining collaborative team work.
- Experience in designing and implementing educational offerings that build the capacity of activists and communities to understand social phenomena such as inequality, injustice, race and class formation, to develop and implement effective strategies, and to take meaningful, effective and responsible action.
- Enthusiasm for, and experience in building the knowledge, confidence and leadership capacity of young people in South Africa.
- Ability to build consensus and partnerships whilst acknowledging where ideas are contested.
The TCAE is committed to equity in employment practices and is keen to make an appointment to meet these objectives. For this post we seek particularly to attract Black South African candidates. All other interested candidates, including foreign nationals are eligible to apply.
This position is based in Mowbray, Cape Town and is being offered as a five-year contract. Salary will commensurate with experience and is market related.
Interested candidates must send a letter of motivation, contact details of 3 work related referees, and CV to MaraisButton & Associates.
Email: [email protected]
Closing date is 31 August 2018.
Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.