The Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education has been established to strengthen the theoretical, strategic, organisational, creative and analytic capabilities of worker, student and community activists struggling against racism, sexism, poverty and inequality.
Job Title: Land Justice Educator
Job Location: Mowbray, Cape Town
- Support the Centre’s educational engagement with activists working on land issues, both urban and rural
- Network and engage with social movements and organisations working in the area of urban and rural land justice
- Identify educational priorities and needs of land justice activists, and working collaboratively with them to develop appropriate programmes and materials to support their work, such as curricula and course material, organising events (such as workshops, residential schools and documentary film screenings), as well as preparing material for dissemination
- Involvement in other aspects of the Centre’s work, as part of the Tshisimani team
- A university degree or the equivalent
- Experience as an activist working for social justice, especially in the area of land issues
- In-depth familiarity with land debates, current research and policy issues in South Africa, in both urban and rural environments
- Interest in or experience of developing course content and curricula using popular education techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and provide leadership in the development of materials, and also work as part of a team.
- Imaginative, energetic, innovative, hardworking
- Fluency in isiXhosa is a strong recommendation.
The TCAE is committed to equity in employment practices and is keen to make appointments to meet these objectives. Priority will be given to black applicants. The Centre reserves the right not to make an appointment. Please send applications with a letter of motivation, contact details of 3 referees, and CV with ‘Land Justice Educator position’ in the subject line to [email protected] by Friday 3 August. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.